Adam names the Creatures
Genesis 2v19+20 tells us that Adam named the cattle, birds, and beasts of the field. It does not record that he named the fish.
It was not difficult for Adam to quickly give names to all these living creatures and remember them all, for Adam was no doubt more intelligent than any man that has ever lived. God made Adam a fully-grown adult who immediately was able to think, speak clearly, and probably read and write. He was prince of the planet Earth.
God had made a matching couple of each animal kind – male and female. There were no single creatures. When Adam named them he must have seen that some animals seemed more like him than others. But there was no animal kind truly like Adam – a human being – to be a perfect companion.
The Creation of Eve
Eve was made from one of Adam’s ribs. Genesis 2v21-23. Of course men do not have one less rib than women, just as children of a man who has lost an arm are not born with one less arm.
Eve descended from Adam (1 Corinthians 11v8), in the sense that she was made from his flesh and bone and thus had a biological connection to him (Genesis 2v23). She was made by God from Adam’s side, and therefore had the same DNA as Adam – uniquely humankind.
Eve was created to be a helper and a companion for Adam, and not merely for childbearing. Genesis 2v18. It has been said that she was taken from near his heart for she was to be loved. She was not taken from his head to rule him, or from his feet to be trampled upon.
Adam called her “Woman, because she was taken out of man” (Genesis2v23). “And Adam called his wife’s name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.” (Genesis 3v20)
God Established Marriage
- Christ quoted Genesis 1v27; 2v24 when teaching concerning marriage (Matthew 19v4-6). This shows us that Christ believed the Genesis account of the creation rather than evolution.
- God intended for one man and one woman to be joined in marriage only to each other for the rest of their lives. Notice God did not create a man to be Adam’s partner; nor did He create many wives for Adam. He created one woman Eve to be Adam’s wife. God ordained marriage to be a loving, faithful relationship between one man and one woman. God did not intend marriage to be marred by adultery or polygamy. There is no basis in marriage for homosexuality.
- The oneness in marriage is based upon the historical fact that Eve was created out of Adam’s side. Genesis 2v24
- God ordained that a man should leave his parents and cleave to his wife in order to produce and raise children in a loving, stable, and godly environment. Genesis 1v28; 2v24; Ephesians 5v22 – 6v4. Marriage is a picture of Christ’s love for His church.
- Adam and Eve were to populate the earth. Genesis 1v28. All people have descended from our first parents Adam and Eve. The Bible teaches that God has “made of one blood all nations of men.” (Acts 17v26)
- Having created Adam and Eve, God gave them dominion over the earth to rule it as His stewards. Genesis 1v28; 2v15. God intended Adam to be the prince of planet Earth, ruling it as a good steward with his bride Eve.
- Genesis 2v25 – the fact that Adam and Eve were naked and unashamed was a sign of their integrity. They lived and moved without guilt, shame, or fear of exploitation and threat. The shame of nakedness and the wearing of clothes came as a result of their sin (Genesis 3v7-11, +21).
The Creator’s Love
The Loving Creator made man in His image to have communion with Him, gave him a beautiful wife with which to have the perfect marriage relationship, and gave them the perfect home in Eden with everything they needed for a perfectly happy life.
Our minds are so accustomed to sin, death, disease, and broken relationships that it is difficult for us to fully comprehend what it was like for Adam and Eve to live in the perfect world God made. However, the Creator still loves us and wants us to have everlasting life through faith in Jesus Christ.
“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”John 3v16 KJV
Adam the Head of the Human Race
Adam was the first man and Eve his wife was the first woman. God did not create other people nor did other people evolve (Genesis 2v18-23; 1 Corinthians 15v45). All nations have descended from them (Acts 17v26).
Adam was head of the human race. The fact that Adam was created first, and then Eve, shows his headship (1Corinthians 11v3, 8, +9; 1Timothy 2v12+13). God gave responsibility of leadership to Adam, so the Bible says sin entered the world through Adam (Romans 5v12; 1 Corinthians 15v22).
The first Adam is contrasted to the Last Adam who is the Lord Jesus Christ. The first Adam is of the earth, and by him came sin and death. The Last Adam is from heaven, and by Him is righteousness and eternal life (John 3v16+36; Romans 5v12+19; 1 Corinthians 15v22, 45-47).
For further information on creation/evolution issues visit: