Understanding the Fossil Record
Accepting that the fossil record teaches millions of years of death, bloodshed, disease, violence, all in the struggle to survive, and then going to the Bible to interpret it creates problems:
- It is inconsistent with the character of God to suggest that He was the Author of a creation that was not perfectly good.
- To put death, bloodshed, disease, and the struggle to survive, before the Fall of man is contrary to scripture and attacks the foundation of the gospel.
- It is wrong to assume that all earth’s history was shaped by the same processes we see happening today. All things have not continued as they were from the beginning (cp. 2 Peter 3v3-6).
- To believe in the evolutionary concept concerning the fossil record is to believe in an old earth, whereas the Bible teaches a young earth – about 6000 years.
- The Bible not only tells us God’s plan of salvation but it is the true history book of the universe. We ought to start with the revelation from God (the Bible) as foundational to all thinking (biology, history, geology, etc.), rather than trying to make evolutionary notions fit into the Bible. If we did this we would view the evidence found in the fossil record in a completely different way from the evolutionist.
- The fossil record shows evidence of thorns, death, bloodshed, disease, and the struggle to survive, therefore it had to be formed after Adam and Eve sinned.
- The fossil record gives evidence of the disastrous effects of man’s sin.
Most of the fossil record does not represent a history of life on earth over millions of years, but rather the order of burial during the flood. “If there really was a worldwide flood what would the evidence be? Billions of dead things buried in rock layers, laid down by water, all over the earth.” That’s exactly what is found.
Implications For The Whole Human Race
Take time to look up the Bible verses if you want to really benefit from this study
There is only one human race.
There are, however, many different people groups and cultures. As Eve was “the mother of all living” (Genesis 3v20) and God “hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth” (Acts 17v26), our first parents’ sin has affected us all. Scripture nowhere states that there is another line of people, either created or evolved, other than that, which has descended from Adam and Eve.
We are all born with original sin.
The federal headship of the human race had been invested in Adam. We were in Adam, so when he sinned we all sinned. His sin and the results of it were imputed to all his posterity (Romans 5v12, 15-17; 1 Corinthians 15v21-22). The only exception was the Lord Jesus Christ.
Man is incapable of saving himself.
Scripture describes fallen man as Spiritually dead (Ephesians 2v1+5); Spiritually blind (2 Corinthians 4v4); Controlled by sin (Colossians1v13); An enemy of God (Romans 5v10; 8v7+8); and Guilty before God (Romans 3v19). As such there is just no way man can do anything to save himself. There is nothing we can do to remove our guilt before God. It is by God’s mercy and love that we can have salvation free (John 3v16; Ephesians 2v8+9). “Salvation is of the LORD” (Jonah 2v9).
Christ is the Only Saviour of mankind.
(Matthew 1v21; Acts 4v12; 1 Corinthians 15v22; 1 Timothy 2v5-6; 1 Peter 3v18) Jesus Christ the blessed God-Man suffered and bled and died, in our place, on the cross of Calvary to deliver us from the Curse of sin and death (Titus 2v14; Hebrews 2v14). The reason we send missionaries to the remotest parts of the earth, is because all the people of this world are descendants of Adam and Eve, they are all born in sin, and need Christ to save them.
The world has been changed dramatically because of sin and the Curse. Some people reject the Genesis account of history because they find it difficult to accept that all animals were originally herbivores and lived in harmony. However, the present food chain and animal behaviour cannot be used as a basis for interpreting the Bible. The Bible explains why the world is the way it is. Everything has changed because of sin. One must look at the world through Bible eyes to understand it.
Our Creator has given us so many visual aids all around us to remind us “that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan” (Revelation 12v9) has led man in rebellion against his Maker, and we are all sinners in need of God’s salvation. The devil is still our adversary and seeks to destroy us (1 Peter 5v8). Do not be deceived by his lies. Trust the one True God who loves you and wants to save you.
For further information on creation/evolution issues visit: